Heritage BC Award of Honour Recipient
The Redstone in Victoria is a fine example of adaptive re-use, converting a 90-year-old garage into contemporary condominiums. The garage was built for David Spencer Ltd, Victoria’s first major department store. Architect Percy Fox designed the brick garage in 1918 to accommodate a new fleet of horseless delivery vehicles. In the 1940s, the garage was bought and used by the Government of B.C. for offices until being acquired and repurposed by Stan Sipos and Tinney and Associates.
A highly creative design called for a low-profile second floor to be dropped onto the roof, reached by stairways at each end and an external elevator. The compact condos are open-plan, with lots of glass and skylights and nine-foot ceilings. The asymmetrical design accommodates two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
“This is an imaginative vision – the developers can be congratulated for preserving the integrity of the site, and the City of Victoria can take credit for encouraging this adaptive re-use.”
Development Type: Residential Apartments
Height: 2 storeys
Location: 440 Parry Street, Victoria, B.C.
Copyright Cielo Properties Inc. All rights reserved.